Skip to main content

New Orleans Jazz Night


Mardi Gras is a certain time of the year each year, so if you have smart residents, which I'm sure that you do, if you hold a Mardi Gras theme party on any other date, you would be wrong. So, with that in mind, I decided to have a New Orleans Jazz Night instead.

For decorations, I used some of the items from my Mardi Gras collection, but nothing that said Mardi Gras on it. I had a cool back drop that showed a scene of New Orleans buildings in the evenings with lamps on. I used this along one of the main walls in my lobby. I really wanted to focus on the Jazz side of this theme event, so I found a few nice pieces at Home Goods, such as a brass horn that I used as part of a center piece. I also used black balloons with musical notes on it around the lobby. And of course, you must have Jazz music playing throughout the evening. For me, I used CDs and played them during the "happy hour" reception that took place prior to the residents special dinner in the Dining Room. We have found that our residents prefer not to have music playing while they eat because it is hard for them to have their normal conversations.

The dinner menu for our New Orleans Jazz Night included crawfish and corn soup, bayou salad, Cajun Red Snapper, Crab stuffed Chicken Breast, Cajun Garlic Pork Roast, Hush Puppies, Hoppin' John, and Okra & Tomatoes. The servers were given Mardi Gras beads to wear and were allowed to wear jeans and a solid color shirt. You might get some more food ideas by looking on the internet or in specialty cookbooks. I know that my culinary director does use the internet a lot for special events.


The after dinner show in the auditorium was a local group who performed jazz music, but also added a video element to the show, which was great! The residents were treated to an overview of jazz, from it's roots to current day with this entertaining and educational program. I decorated the stage with carnival masks and shiny metallic curtains out of my Mardi Gras collection.


I will say that when I advertised a New Orleans Jazz Night, that residents were a bit confused and did not really know how to dress for the event. I learned that when I create a new title to give a theme a twist, that I really need to drop a few more clues as to what might be appropriate for the party. I have a wonderful chairperson for my activities committee who is so creative, that she and her husband dress for all my events, (and even some that she celebrates in her own home). She would be a good resource for me and I will be using her to help me help the rest of the community with getting involved more.
P.S. Check out my store link for lots more resources

Popular posts from this blog

4 Pictures 1 Word Game for the Big Screen

Many of you who have played 4 Pictures 1 Word, know that this brain game is available as an app for your computer, tablet or phone for free. That is great, bu it does not allow a team to play and is not audience friendly if you wanted to present it at your retirement community (or other social gathering). 
After some time and effort, I made a 4 Pictures and 1 Word game  slide show that you can use in your community. I did use the app for suggestions and the Internet for the pictures. I am glad to share this with you so that you will not have to spend the hours that I did in creating this game. If you get the urge to make one also, please come back to this blog page and share it.  I played this last week with a group of about 25 independent living residents.We did not get through all of the slides due to time constraints..... but I was glad I did not run out of slides in my hour that I had their attention. I will be playing this with them again... and would love to have other slides t…

Brain Games

Recently we hosted our senior Olympics program. This year we added a new event called Brain Games. I found a really good link for brain games that you should look at to understand the definition.
After looking at that link and reading through some other online material, I realized that there is a difference between training your brain and brain games. Be mindful (pun intended) that you are not qualified to train resident's brains unless you have gone to training for it. We, as activities professionals however, are very capable of playing brain games with those who are interested in our communities.
Recently, I introduced Scattergories, Apples to Apples,Wii Jeopardy,Wii Wheel of Fortune and a Name that Tune type of game.  They are fun games that required your brain, so I thought that they were Brain Games. This last game, Name that Tune, I created on my own since I could not find anything that would have been appropriate for this generation to identify with. I downloaded music from t…

Play Music More Often

"Music is the soundtrack of your life," said Dick Clark. When you hear a song, if you are like me, it takes you back to that time in your life when you heard the song for the first time or to the occasion where you heard it. That is powerful. Can you imagine the music that our residents have heard in their lifetime? Just like the world in general, they have experienced so much and it is nice when we, as activities professionals, can take them back to the happier days, with the soundtracks from their lives.
So, the question I pose to you today is how do you find and present music to your residents? Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is by way of hired professional performers. That is a given in our jobs, so in this post, I'd like to focus on a few other ways that you can bring music to your residents that they will recognize and enjoy, along with theme music for your special events.

Pandora, Amazon, (search MP3 Download then search free songs) and YouTube are pla…