Skip to main content

Birthday Celebrations

So this was the day of the month that we celebrate the residents' birthdays for the month. We do this every 2nd Tuesday of the month. The program is simple, but I think, pretty affective. We have a "happy hour" before the residents go into the dining room. It features punch, two hot hor's oeuvres, a cheese and cracker platter, and a dip of some kind served in our lobby. This goes for about an hour. While they enjoy their refreshments, I give a corsage/boutonniere to those celebrating. (at my community, we put a list of those with birthdays into our monthly newsletter.... some do not want to be listed because they don't want the attention from it.... and they do not get a flower)

As the residents are taken into the dining room, those who have a flower, receive a birthday balloon. That balloon gets tied onto their chair in the dining room, so that it decorates the room and people passing the tables know right away who to wish a happy birthday to.   Once the residents are all inside, I welcome everyone, our Chaplain says a blessing, and we sing happy birthday.
The people who have a birthday person at their table, sing to them... (happy birthday dear Mary...happy bday to you).  The rest of us sing happy birthday, God bless you...happy birthday to you.  I then share a quick overview of the highlights that remain on the activities calendar, and introduce the show for the evening.

If residents don't come to the party, I have our Security department deliver their balloon and their flower to their apartment, with a note from the community's staff that says that we are sorry that they did not make it to the party and that we hope that they enjoy the flower/balloon and have a great birthday. I have use small colored bags or Chinese boxes to put the flower and note into for delivery.

This is also a night that the community tends to dress up. I think most people enjoy that also. Oh, and the meal is special also that evening.

So that is how we do it. How do you make it special at your community?

Comments

  1. Gosh! Sounds pretty fancy and fun! We sing to the person at lunch time on their birthday, and then I take out a special dessert (sometimes cake-sometimes pie,) with a candle in it for them to blow out. On the 4th Tuesday each month we have a party to celebrate all the birthdays that month. This month we have a female guitarist as entertainment and I am serving these adorable treats. http://www.hostessblog.com/2008/12/super-cute-snowmen-treats/
    I am using recycled Starbucks frappucino bottles, and filling them with vanilla milkshakes. Can make your own cakeballs (check out bakerella's website) or use large powdered sugar doughnut holes for the heads. Made a sample one , and man are they ever cute! Also serving them at our next staff meeting and the hairdresser in our home is borrowing the bottles and making these treats for her daughter's baby shower at the end of the month. She bought tiny pacifiers to put in the snowmen mouths. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, Are you in an assisted living or independent living community? I'm in independent living & we have 20-30 birthdays each month.

    I like the idea of the snowmen drinks. Just goes to show that with a little creativity that you do not have to spend a lot of money.

    We use to bring out the celebrant's piece of birthday cake out to them with a candle in it and sing to them, but found that many of them were not ready for the cake (finished their dessert time already or still eating dinner) at the time that we designated to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in a small assisted living community- 35 rooms- we have 38 residents and are at 100% capacity.Three rooms have couples in them. I love AL. After working in LTC in both Activities and Soc Services for 10 years, AL is a breath of fresh air. I love the responsiveness of the folks, and their ability to contribute to their leisure choices. We have a few in w/c but they wheel themselves and are cognitively able to participate. In AL I also do not have to chart continuously or do MDS's, which is great! I get to spend my time with them instead of writing about them. We generally only have 3-4 birthdays a month, and we also do the birthday thing for staff. They are brought to dining room and sang to- and presented with a birthday dessert. We're small enough that we can observe the dining room and watch till the birthday people are ready for their treat- and I'm not the only one who does it. Our CMAs and even dining room staff or administrative staff have taken a turn at working the dining room and presenting the birthday treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in an asst living, 245 residents, we hold a monthy birthday party, 2nd friday of the month, music , cake ice cream and sing hb, take everyones picture, and on the day of their birthday I bring balloons out to them, we sing, I also post their names on the bullatin boards, in the calendar, and around the building

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 Styles of Scavenger Hunts

Boy is it hot outside! If you are like me you may still be looking for indoor activities that are fun for your residents to do. This activity that I will share with you can be done for different levels of care in your retirement community. I encourage you to share it with the other activity professionals that work in those other areas within your own community. The activity is the Scavenge Hunt. This can be done in three different ways and I will describe them below: 1)       The Stay Seated Scavenger Hunt v   Ask audience to bring in items they think will be asked for. Encourage them to fill their purses, pockets, bags, etc. and bring it to the event v   Make a list of items that they could bring with them v   Include items that would be funny, that might have a story to go with them, or that people would be surprised someone would actually have. (Green Stamps anyone?) v   See the list I used v   Cut the list into pieces and place them into a basket v   Ask

Super Bowl Party for Seniors

It is almost here! The 46th Super Bowl game will be held on Sunday, February 5 in Indinapolis. Each year, residents in my retirement community want to have a viewing party for the big game. I believe that it is a fun program to make an activity out of, but not something that I must do every year. Mostly, I don't have this each year because there are not to many ways to change it up, so I don't want to have it become boring. (This is where your ideas would be great to hear!!) This year, we are going to have a party and I'd like to share with you the plans for the evening. Residents are now signing up for the program which is set to start at 6:00 p.m.  This time is perfect in my community because we still serve dinner at noon on Sundays and the residents usually like to attend for the food, if for no other reason. (I do charge them a fee for the food.) We will have the game showing on our big screen tv in the auditorium and tables and chairs set up for the residents to eat

4 Pictures 1 Word Game for the Big Screen

Many of you who have played 4 Pictures 1 Word , know that this brain game is available as an app for your computer, tablet or phone for free. That is great, bu it does not allow a team to play and is not audience friendly if you wanted to present it at your retirement community (or other social gathering).  After some time and effort, I made a 4 Pictures and 1 Word game  slide show that you can use in your community. I did use the app for suggestions and the Internet for the pictures. I am glad to share this with you so that you will not have to spend the hours that I did in creating this game. If you get the urge to make one also, please come back to this blog page and share it.  I played this last week with a group of about 25 independent living residents.We did not get through all of the slides due to time constraints..... but I was glad I did not run out of slides in my hour that I had their attention. I will be playing this with them again... and would love to have other