Skip to main content

Welcoming New Residents

Making a move into a retirement community is a major life change. It is a date that many long time residents will remember, much like the date the graduated, got married, left military service, or when their spouse passed away.

Part of my job as the Activities Director is to welcome the new residents into the community and help make their adjustment easier. At my community, the process involves the residents and the staff. Below is our process in a nutshell.
  • A staff member, who has helped them customize their new home, continues to work with them the day that they move-in. She oversees that the physical move goes smoothly. She offers to arrange for the new resident's first dinner to be brought to the apartment, instead of having them go into the dining room or casual dining area. This is usually well received because they are so tired from the move. We serve the family or other support people who are there also.
  • This staff person also has sent a memo to all of our department heads, and to the welcome committee chairman, that has the new resident's contact information and move-in date on it.
  • I make a welcome basket that consists of sparkling cider, cereal, snacks, and fruit. The basket is taken to the new move-in by a representative of the welcome committee on the first night of their stay. The committee member delivers the basket and at that time, sets up a time to review a handbook that will give the resident answers to the most common questions. The committee member also arranges for the new resident to have dinner for the first 5-7 days.
  • A department head visits with the new resident within the first few days of their move in and reviews the welcome packet with them. They also go over emergency procedures and gives them contact information for all the department heads.
  • After a month or so, depending on when there are more new residents than staff members, I organize a lunch for the new residents. There the residents get to know the other new residents who have moved in around the same time as they have. I have them play mixer games so that they can learn something about each other. The staff has an opportunity to introduce themselves and share, again, where their office is and how they can assist the resident.
  • I take pictures of the new residents and post them in the Lobby for the first few weeks after they moved in. (Sometimes this is easier said than done.) Then the pictures go into a photo album that is arranged by the building they live in. This is a great referral spot for residents and staff.
  • We have a monthly newsletter, and as the editor of it, I make sure that all new residents have an opportunity to have an article written about them appear shortly after they move-in. I am lucky enough to have a resident volunteer who enjoys interviewing the new residents and writing this for the newsletter.
So that is it, in a "nutshell."  If there are any ideas that you'd like to share on welcoming new residents into a independent living retirement community, please feel free to post it below so that we can all see it and learn from one another. Also, share this blog site with other associates that you know in the field. The more input that we get, the better we will be at our jobs as Activities Directors.... and the easier it will be for all of us.  Thanks!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing such an informative blog post, keep it up the great work. Now days the need of nursing homes or senior care center has become common and we all felt the need of seniors care at one stage of our lives

    Independent Senior Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog post on how to recharge retirees in retirement communities was really helpful. It includes a lot of information I wasn't previously aware of. I appreciate that you include a link to your site. According to your blog post, you offer support for activities directors of independent living retirement communities. I would love to learn more about what your services are in this area. If you have time, please let me know and I'll share it with my readers.
    Good Place to Retire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 Styles of Scavenger Hunts

Boy is it hot outside! If you are like me you may still be looking for indoor activities that are fun for your residents to do. This activity that I will share with you can be done for different levels of care in your retirement community. I encourage you to share it with the other activity professionals that work in those other areas within your own community. The activity is the Scavenge Hunt. This can be done in three different ways and I will describe them below: 1)       The Stay Seated Scavenger Hunt v   Ask audience to bring in items they think will be asked for. Encourage them to fill their purses, pockets, bags, etc. and bring it to the event v   Make a list of items that they could bring with them v   Include items that would be funny, that might have a story to go with them, or that people would be surprised someone would actually have. (Green Stamps anyone?) v   See the list I used v   Cut the list into pieces and place them into a basket v   Ask

Super Bowl Party for Seniors

It is almost here! The 46th Super Bowl game will be held on Sunday, February 5 in Indinapolis. Each year, residents in my retirement community want to have a viewing party for the big game. I believe that it is a fun program to make an activity out of, but not something that I must do every year. Mostly, I don't have this each year because there are not to many ways to change it up, so I don't want to have it become boring. (This is where your ideas would be great to hear!!) This year, we are going to have a party and I'd like to share with you the plans for the evening. Residents are now signing up for the program which is set to start at 6:00 p.m.  This time is perfect in my community because we still serve dinner at noon on Sundays and the residents usually like to attend for the food, if for no other reason. (I do charge them a fee for the food.) We will have the game showing on our big screen tv in the auditorium and tables and chairs set up for the residents to eat

4 Pictures 1 Word Game for the Big Screen

Many of you who have played 4 Pictures 1 Word , know that this brain game is available as an app for your computer, tablet or phone for free. That is great, bu it does not allow a team to play and is not audience friendly if you wanted to present it at your retirement community (or other social gathering).  After some time and effort, I made a 4 Pictures and 1 Word game  slide show that you can use in your community. I did use the app for suggestions and the Internet for the pictures. I am glad to share this with you so that you will not have to spend the hours that I did in creating this game. If you get the urge to make one also, please come back to this blog page and share it.  I played this last week with a group of about 25 independent living residents.We did not get through all of the slides due to time constraints..... but I was glad I did not run out of slides in my hour that I had their attention. I will be playing this with them again... and would love to have other