Skip to main content

Dog Days of Summer

One of our most popular events is our annual dog show! I schedule it in August because it is the "Dog Days of Summer." I tried to find pictures of the event to show you, but I can't find them. I promise to take them and post them after this year's program. (Funny how having this blog makes me more responsible for my pictures these days.) I did however, find the newspaper article that was written about it. Feel free to check out this link for the Sun Sentinel article.

This activity is simple and brings so much fun to everyone! First, I promote the day and time of the show and ask anyone interested in participating to sign up. Once they've signed up, I send them a bio sheet for their dog. It asks the pet's name, age, breed, length of time owned, how long they've been residents at the community, their favorite trick, a cute story about them, and anything else that I can think of.  The more you know, the better it is while you are on stage with them!

After I review the forms, I get the pet owners to come to the auditorium (without their pet) and go over the show. This rehearsals is very important to the success of the show. I show the resident where to take their dog before the show starts (usually out of the audiences view is best) so that the animals are ready to go and stay calm. You will probably learn from the owners which dog gets along with which, and will need to separate those that don't. I give the residents a chance to walk on the stage and learn how to exit as well.

Once the show starts, most residents simply walk their dog onto the stage and stand there while I share their bio information with the audience. It is very important that you have fun with this part of the show, or it will drag. If the dog does something cute, make a big deal out of it and highlight it to the audience. Some residents have trained their dogs to do tricks. That is great too!! Make sure the participants understand that this is not a contest, it is a show for fun.

In the past, I have invited the audience to be the judge, along with me, to determine the title each dog will earn. This is done by announcing the title and asking the audience to shout out who they thinks deserves the prize. If there is more than one name, I tell the audience the names, and go to each of the dogs to clarify who is in the running for the prize. Then we go to a round of applause to determine the winner. Titles can be as smallest, biggest, best barker, best tail wagger, the Dumbo award (best ears), best dressed, owner/dog look-a-like, and more. Each dog should win a prize. Don't forget to add something in the gift bag for the owners, like a note pad with dogs on it, maybe. Make sure that you have more titles to win then you have dogs! There are times when you will need it, trust me. 

I have a volunteer help me note who has won which title, because it goes so fast that I don't always have time to write it down. Prizes are all the same and usually includes a treat for the owner and for the dog. I post a list of the winners in the Lobby so that everyone can see the results after the show.

At the end of the show, I ask each resident to take his/her dog to a designated area in the room. (This should be discussed in the rehearsal.) Once the pets and the owners are stationed, I invite the audience to meet and greet our four-legged residents. This is a highlight for the audience because they get to pet the dogs and learn more about their friend's dog that they may have only heard about at the dinner table.
This year I'm working on giving the residents in the audience more information so that they can judge more accurately. They want to see what the categories are for the prizes so that they can put the right pooch on the right pedestal! I'm not sure how this will work since I do create more titles then there are dogs... so we will see.  I've also thought about bringing in local area judges who work with pets. Maybe this can even be a fund raiser for the shelter this time. We will see. I'm still working on it!

Have you had a dog show in your community? If so, please comment below! We'd all love to hear from you.

Comments

  1. Last year I added a voting to this event. (You can read about it at http://rechargingretirees.blogspot.com/2011/08/dog-show-and-technology.html) or click the link on the right side of this aricle. This year I thought I would involve our 2 area sister-communities to bring some excitment to the program. Because it is so popular in my community alone, I added a 2nd show so that there would be room for everyone. This went over like a lead balloon! Dog owners did not want to bring their dog to 2 different shows - I said that is fine, just pick one. I heard from the audience members, they didn't understand that I wanted them to come to one of the two shows. They wanted to certain friends dogs, and if that dog was not going to be at the show they wanted to attend, it was an issue. I had comments that they did not want to meet the other community dogs. (As an animal lover, that shocked me.) And, residents with dogs from the other communities were not interested in bringing their dogs to our community. As I commented in the other dog related post, I learned recently that sometimes the KISS method is the best....Keep It Simple Stupid/Silly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 Styles of Scavenger Hunts

Boy is it hot outside! If you are like me you may still be looking for indoor activities that are fun for your residents to do. This activity that I will share with you can be done for different levels of care in your retirement community. I encourage you to share it with the other activity professionals that work in those other areas within your own community. The activity is the Scavenge Hunt. This can be done in three different ways and I will describe them below: 1)       The Stay Seated Scavenger Hunt v   Ask audience to bring in items they think will be asked for. Encourage them to fill their purses, pockets, bags, etc. and bring it to the event v   Make a list of items that they could bring with them v   Include items that would be funny, that might have a story to go with them, or that people would be surprised someone would actually have. (Green Stamps anyone?) v   See the list I used v   Cut the list into pieces and place them into a basket v   Ask

Super Bowl Party for Seniors

It is almost here! The 46th Super Bowl game will be held on Sunday, February 5 in Indinapolis. Each year, residents in my retirement community want to have a viewing party for the big game. I believe that it is a fun program to make an activity out of, but not something that I must do every year. Mostly, I don't have this each year because there are not to many ways to change it up, so I don't want to have it become boring. (This is where your ideas would be great to hear!!) This year, we are going to have a party and I'd like to share with you the plans for the evening. Residents are now signing up for the program which is set to start at 6:00 p.m.  This time is perfect in my community because we still serve dinner at noon on Sundays and the residents usually like to attend for the food, if for no other reason. (I do charge them a fee for the food.) We will have the game showing on our big screen tv in the auditorium and tables and chairs set up for the residents to eat

4 Pictures 1 Word Game for the Big Screen

Many of you who have played 4 Pictures 1 Word , know that this brain game is available as an app for your computer, tablet or phone for free. That is great, bu it does not allow a team to play and is not audience friendly if you wanted to present it at your retirement community (or other social gathering).  After some time and effort, I made a 4 Pictures and 1 Word game  slide show that you can use in your community. I did use the app for suggestions and the Internet for the pictures. I am glad to share this with you so that you will not have to spend the hours that I did in creating this game. If you get the urge to make one also, please come back to this blog page and share it.  I played this last week with a group of about 25 independent living residents.We did not get through all of the slides due to time constraints..... but I was glad I did not run out of slides in my hour that I had their attention. I will be playing this with them again... and would love to have other